Komuniti Alumni dan Pelajar Politeknik Muadzam Shah
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

China aftershocks set for weeks, months even years

3 posters

Go down

China aftershocks set for weeks, months even years Empty China aftershocks set for weeks, months even years

Post by qaleq Thu 29 May 2008, 7:24 pm

Since the May 12, 7.9 quake which killed more than 68,000 people, a series of strong aftershocks have occured along the quake's 250 kms (155 mile) fault line, running southwest to northeast outside of Chengdu.
Seismologists have recorded around 150 aftershocks above a magnitude of 4, with the highest a 6, and warn that a major aftershock of around 6.9 was still possible.

"I think we have been incredibly lucky that a 7.9 quake has not had aftershocks bigger than 6. There is still a chance, but as time goes by it is reducing," said Gary Gibson, chairman of the International Seismology Centre in London.

"The one that I dread, with people trying to fix these dams, is a large aftershock. Even after weeks you are likely to get the odd rogue one," Gibson told Reuters on Thursday.

China has evacuated more than 150,000 people living below the swollen Tangjiashan lake, one of 35 lakes formed by the quake, amid fears it could burst and trigger massive flooding.

Seismologists said the duration and severity of aftershocks depended on the size of the main quake and its depth. The larger and shallower the main quake, the more powerful the aftershocks and the longer their duration.

"There is no way of predicting the duration of aftershocks, but aftershocks can go on for years and years and years," said Adam Pascale from the Seismology Research Centre in Australia.

"I would imagine they will have quite reasonably strong aftershocks for a couple of months and then earthquakes in that sequence will continue for years," Pascale said.

The May 12 quake at 7.9 was approaching the most powerful for a continental quake, one inside a continent and not on a tectonic plate boundary, and at 10 km (six miles) deep was very shallow.
qaleq
qaleq
Pelajar Cemerlang
Pelajar Cemerlang

Number of posts : 1519
Intake : Jan 2005
Registration date : 2008-04-22

http://www.qaleq.sosblog.com

Back to top Go down

China aftershocks set for weeks, months even years Empty Re: China aftershocks set for weeks, months even years

Post by ibnu_laden Fri 30 May 2008, 7:45 pm

wow...ur information

Last edited by ibnu_laden on Fri 30 May 2008, 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

ibnu_laden
Pelajar Cemerlang
Pelajar Cemerlang

Number of posts : 682
Intake : sd
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

China aftershocks set for weeks, months even years Empty Re: China aftershocks set for weeks, months even years

Post by ibnu_laden Fri 30 May 2008, 7:48 pm

is it true?

ibnu_laden
Pelajar Cemerlang
Pelajar Cemerlang

Number of posts : 682
Intake : sd
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by qaleq Mon 02 Jun 2008, 2:12 pm

yes la..
qaleq
qaleq
Pelajar Cemerlang
Pelajar Cemerlang

Back to top Go down

Post by LuncaiGreat Wed 04 Jun 2008, 3:58 pm

hehehe..just look at ypu post like this,it make me tired to read it until the end..
hey qaleq..i've an idea...why dont i make a topic 4 u n just 4 u only to post a quite long post like this..coz it make my eye fluring u know..u dont have to make a topic just 4 1 post only...
LuncaiGreat
LuncaiGreat
Guru Kanan
Guru Kanan

Number of posts : 1018
Intake : jan 2005
Registration date : 2008-03-07

http://www.sit04.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by qaleq Sun 08 Jun 2008, 2:39 pm

hehehe... info is true..
qaleq
qaleq
Pelajar Cemerlang
Pelajar Cemerlang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum